The Pelham High School Band has a rich tradition of musical excellence dating back to the program's inception in 1974. The Pelham Band Program has traveled and performed at numerous locations around the country including Chicago (IL), New York (NY), San Antonio (TX), Williamsburg (VA), Washington D.C., Dallas (TX), Phoenix (AZ), Orlando (FL), Indianapolis (IN), Nassau (Bahamas). The Pelham High School Band Program is composed of two concert ensembles, two jazz ensembles, two marching bands (competitive and non-competitive), a color guard, a winter guard, a dance team, and majorettes. The Pelham High School Marching Band is an active participant in Bands of America and Music For All.
The Pelham Wind Ensemble, the premier performance group at Pelham High School, has performed at numerous state and regional conferences and competitions including the Music for All National Festival, Southeastern United States Concert Band Clinic (SEUS), Grand National Adjudicators Invitational, The Atlanta International Band & Orchestra Conference, Southern Instrumental Conductors Conference and the Alabama Music Educators Association In-Service Conference (1990, 1994, 2005, 2010, 2013). Under the direction of Justin P. Ward, the Pelham Wind Ensemble has been invited and performed as a featured ensemble at the Southeastern United States Concert Band Clinic (2015), The University of Alabama Honor Band Festival (2016), the Kennesaw State University Concert Band Invitational (2017), and the UAB Concert Band Invitational (2017).
- To build a program based on five pillars: PRIDE, COMMITMENT, DISCIPLINE, EXCELLENCE, and SPIRIT.
- To provide ALL students a first class music education through meaningful performance.
- To help educate, share, and foster the value of music education within our community.
- To develop all students into model citizens so that they may be successful in future endeavors.
- To work everyday towards becoming the best band program in the State of Alabama and beyond.
THE FIVE PILLARS TO SUCCESS
- PRIDE: A feeling of happiness that you get when you or someone you know does something difficult or good; a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by others.
- I will have pride in my work, my fellow band members and the Pelham High School Band. This pride will be exhibited in all tasks, meetings, rehearsals, and performances and will result in respect for myself and others.
- COMMITMENT: A promise to be loyal to someone or something; the attitude of someone who works very hard to do or support something.
- I will commit myself, my energies, and my talents to my fellow band members, to the ideal of being the best I can be, and all aspects of the Pelham High School Band.
- DISCIPLINE: A way of behaving that shows a willingness to submit to a process and to obey a set of rules.
- I will be disciplined mentally and physically in all that I do and will follow all rules, regulations, and procedures so that I and my team can be the best we can be.
- EXCELLENCE: A quality of being excellent or eminently good.
- I will be excellent in everything I do.
- SPIRIT: A mental disposition characterized by firmness or assertiveness that indicates enthusiastic loyalty to a task, process, or organization.
- I will be spirited in all that I do and have loyalty and enthusiasm for my band, my school, and my community. My spirit and enthusiasm will be palpable and contagious to others.